Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
Log in
This is EstateLite Plone Theme
You are here: Home About TISS

TISS

About TISS

image6

The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936, as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. At the height of economic depression in the 1930s, the trustees of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust willed to create an institution to train human service professionals to address acute poverty, destitution, unemployment, and other social and economic problems.

The Trust invited Prof. Clifford Manshardt of Chicago University to establish the School of Social Work. In the subsequent decades, TISS influenced the direction of social work education and social research in India and Asia. In 1944, the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. In 1964, the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the  Government of India (GOI) recognised the Institute as a Deemed University and fully fund its maintenance. TISS celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in the year 2011 - 2012.

EstateLite Plone Theme by Quintagroup © 2005-2012